Squirrel Coloring Pages
Squirrels may not be everyone's pet but you can't deny that this arboreal mammal can look pretty cute. Aside from their huge front teeth, their fluffy furs and bushy tail and nose that keeps wiggling make them very adorable. Speaking of their teeth, I remember an episode of Spongebob Squarepants where he makes fun of his best friend Sandy's tooth. He says they're so large you can probably land an airplane on them. Well, Spongebob isn't wrong. Sandy's front teeth are large and she's not the only one. All squirrels in the world have front teeth that won't stop growing through out their lifetime.
Anyway, this post is not about Sandy Chicks the mighty Texan she-squirrel. It's about squirrels min general. The toothy mammal looks adorable in these coloring pages. There is the cute little squirrel that appears in Disney Classic Bambi. He holds an acorn that seems way bigger than his hands. Some of these squirrel printables are pretty detailed and realistic. They'd be too difficult for little kids but perfect for older kids and grown ups. Some of them look like a funny cartoon character while some others are simply plain drawing suitable for preschoolers. You can print them as many as you want but don't use them for any commercial purpose.
Also Check: Martin Luther King Jr. Coloring Pages
Squirrel Coloring Pages
Squirrel Fun Facts
- There are around 280 different species of squirrel. Most squirrels are small and have big eyes and bushy tails. Their large eyes help them skilfully climb trees and avoid predators. Squirrels eat mostly nuts, fruits and seeds. Squirrels are born blind.
- Squirrels may lose 25% of their buried food to thieves. And that’s just from members of their own species! Scatter hoarders (squirrels with multiple caches of food) have a difficult time keeping an eye on all of their hidden food. Fellow squirrels or birds often take advantage of this for a free meal.
- Squirrels are extremely intelligent creatures. They are known to put on elaborate bogus food burying displays to deceive onlookers. The fake burials are to trick potential thieves, such as other squirrels or birds, into thinking that they have stored their food stock there. Any observers planning on taking the stash will then focus on the bogus burial site, allowing the squirrel to bury the real stash elsewhere safely.
- Flying squirrels can’t fly like birds but they can glide between trees. Flying squirrels have been known to glide for distances of up to 90 metres (295 ft). Meanwhile, chipmunks are small squirrels with stripes. Chipmunks have cheek pouches which help them carry food. Many chipmunk species hoard food such as nuts, berries, egg and grains for the winter.
- They zigzag to escape predators. When squirrels feel threatened, they run away in a zigzag pattern. This is an incredibly useful strategy to escape hawks and other predators. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work so well on cars. Consider slowing down and giving squirrels a brake!
- Squirrels are very trusting animals, and are of the very few wild animal species which will eat out of a person’s hand.